Friday, September 11, 2009

9/11 and today

I initially was not going to post anything 9/11 related today. I thought and thought and thought about it. I went through the 'this site is my site for book and business related materials' and that sort of made sense. I thought that I didn't want to be sad.

I've heard/read many people's encounters and memories from that day and feel mine are unremarkable in comparison. I wasn't in the City when it happened and didn't know anyone directly affected by it, so my story is like many others from that day: shock, glued to TV, WTF, crying, feeling lost, betrayed, and afraid, deep sorrow for those who lost people or were hurt in the attack.

I was living in NYC for a 2 of the 9/11 anniversaries and know that anything I say will not have anywhere near the power or impact of the stories, images, and public affection I saw on those occasions. The raw emotion that spilled out on the streets was absolutely incredible and awe inspiring. If only we could hug so freely on every other day of the year.

With that said, I would not like to commemorate this day with those dark images that haunt us. I would prefer to mark this day with images that remind me why September 11, 2001 hurt so deeply. Because our country is beautiful. Filled with beautiful people who are full of love and embrace the fundamentals this country was founded on: Freedom to live our lives.

Now go out and enjoy some America today. Because we can!

All images are from Visions of America by Joseph Sohm and are reprinted with the author's permission.


5 comments:

TexasRed said...

Beautiful!

Booklogged said...

I think we all have more in our hearts than we can express but I think you said it very well. There is so much more to America than the disasters which have pulled us together.

Sharon Galligar Chance said...

Well said!

The Tome Traveller said...

This is so beautiful! 9/11 is always a difficult day at my house. You are exactly right and I so appreciate your wonderful post!

Bookfool said...

That was lovely, Lisa.