Thursday, September 10, 2009

Cry, cry again

I picked up a book of short stories the other day to read through while I had a few minutes to spare.

6 pages in. That's about as far as I got before the water works kicked in. It wasn't sobbing crying or the heaving kind. It was silent. Wet just spilled out, ran down my cheeks and dripped off my chin. I found myself obsessively blinking, hurrying the tears out, in order to continue reading.

The story had sad elements, but also profoundly happy, beautiful ones, too. What was it? It's not like I haven't wept while reading before, but this was different.

While reading Between Me and the River, I let out the sobbing, aching type of cry. That resulted from my connection with the author and my heartfelt sorrow for her experiences as a cancer patient. It's source was tangible and made sense to me. She was in pain, I felt that pain.

Why did this short story make me cry? What was the catalyst? I've been thinking about it a lot. The only conclusion I've come to is that it was one of the finest, poetic, most beautiful pieces of writing I have ever encountered.

Thanks to Bookfoolery for the recommendation and Simon Van Booy and his story, Love Begins in Winter, for knocking me off my feet.

Have you been deeply moved by a book or story recently?

7 comments:

Jenni @ Falling Off The Shelf said...

I actually just finished The Last Song by Nicholas Sparks last week, and I cried so hard that I was hiccuping. It was an amazing story, and I highly recommend it. You can read my review here if you'd like :

http://fallingofftheshelf.blogspot.com/2009/09/review-on-sunday-last-song-by-nicholas.html

I'm looking forward to the movie that will be released in January. Although I'm a little skeptical because Miley Cyrus will be playing the main character.

Amy said...

Books make me cry all the time. I totally get this!

Anonymous said...

I cry a lot while reading. Recetly I read a book called After You by Julie Buzbaum. I cried a little while reading it. But I remember reading 'My Girl' and crying buckets. I've read it 3 times atleast and I have cried every single time.

Love begins in Winter sounds good, I like the title.

Bookfool said...

I knew you'd love Simon's writing!!! I just knew it!!! And, of course, the man himself. Sorry I played a part in your sobfest, but I'm thrilled that you were as moved as I expected. :)

Anonymous said...

It was rather interesting for me to read this post. Thank author for it. I like such topics and everything connected to them. I would like to read a bit more soon.

Anonymous said...

It is very interesting for me to read that blog. Thanks for it. I like such topics and anything connected to this matter. I would like to read more soon.

Anonymous said...

Don't stop posting such stories. I love to read articles like that. By the way add some pics :)