Tuesday, May 19, 2009

I'm a snacker, she's a snacker, you're a snacker, too?

A couple of weeks ago, I started a whole lot of 'crumpet' chatter on Twitter. You see, I met and fell in love with the crumpet in England. Not crumpet as in a sexy woman of desire, this one is of the buttery, toasty, yummy variety.

They're a spongy, porous, bread that is somehow related to the English muffin, and absolutely amazing toasted and topped with butter and honey or jam. I love these tasty little treats, but they're not very conducive to a reading snack, since you have to devote a whole hand to managing it.

And I love to snack while I'm reading! It's almost as much of a requirement as the book. And man, oh, man, do I love the salt! Chips, crackers, popcorn, (notice not a vegetable in the bunch? Cue the phone call from mom....now!) & cheesy poofs. Any item that can be guided into my gaping mouth with only the forefinger and thumb works just fine for me. Need to turn a page? I am quite skilled in the art of pinky-page-flipping!

Anyone else incorporate food into their reading?

11 comments:

Lezlie said...

If I ate while I read, I'd be the size of a house, so I try to stay away from that. I'm with you on the crumpets though. Love 'em!! Peter and I pick them up for breakfast at least once a month.

Lezlie

Alea said...

OMG i fell in love with them in England too! I should go buy some more...

Lisa Roe said...

Lezlie: Now that summer is here (in theory), I hope to switch over to healthier berries and things to munch on, but the draw of the bad stuff is just too great!

Alea: You're so lucky if you can run out and buy crumpets! I've found one store in our area (same state, very different area code!) that carries them and have to buy some if I'm anywhere near it. :-)

Darlene said...

Boy would we get along. We could sit on opposite ends of the couch eating our yummy salty snacks while pink turning the pages. You just described me to a 't'. lol.

Alea said...

I don't get them very often but I think I can get them locally! :)

Lisa Roe said...

Dar: That would be awesome! Although I do have to warn you that I'm pretty protective of my Cheez-its! lol.

Alea: We should do a cross-country crumpet crawl. We will drive to towns where we can find crumpets!

Alea said...

Hahah! I like the sound of that! Maybe we can get some at BEA too :P

Kaylia Metcalfe said...

Mmm that looks wonderful1

I munch on Wheat Thins while I read, it used to be skittles, but Wheat Thins are much healthier.

Anonymous said...

Alea: If only we had been able to meet up at BEA!

Kay: Wheat Thins sounds yummy, but Skittles are divine! I haven't had them in ages and am super craving them, now!

Cheryl Pitt said...

Oh yum! Darn this dairy allergy!! :)

Anonymous said...

Cheryl: Dairy allergy?! Oh my. I do have a friend with the same allergy and Whole Foods is really great for finding yummy, diary free foods. I will have to work on a dairy free crumpet recipe for you!